Sunday, September 9, 2012

Day 6 - Flintstones, airports and Athens

Today started out with an early wake up from another loud roommate. I guess I can't really complain though because my phone and therefore my alarm died. Another hostel breakfast, which I've noticed aren't generally very breakfasty.. Rolls, meat, cheese, plain yogurt, corn flakes, milk and juice, bread that is sometimes warm and sometimes not and nutella. But it's all food, and food is good.

Unfortunately check out is at 9:30 and I can't really go far or do anything with all my luggage so I had to head to the airport for another long day. 1 hour waiting for a bus from the hostel, which should be dull but I filled it with people watching and soaking up the sun. I saw a little boy go past me on his bike and noticed he wasnt riding right. Well, he had no pedals!!! It was like a normal bike in all other ways, but then it goes all Flintstones... How fun!!!!! Next, transferring over to a train to take me to the airport and then spent about 3 hours walking around trying to find where to check in.
Eventually I'll learn to just ask..

Fortunately the airports here are all full of shops and restaurants. Around and around and around I went. It seems that they could have shops or seats, but not a reasonable amount of both. Damn airport designer!! It took me ages to find a seat, and when I did, I got bored and went to walk some more...

Come 3:30 I'm finally able to check my bags. The airline I took only allows you to take 23kilos in checked luggage, but the amount of bags doesn't matter. Of course my bags equalled 24kilos and every additional kilo is 21 Euros... ARE YOU KIDDING!!???! 26 Canadian dollars (approx.) for 2.20 pounds!!! Crazy. At least I was allowed to take something out. All I took was a book.. Can you imagine having to pay that much for something so small? Oh well, it worked out.

Through security I still had 2 hours to kill so I did what any sane person would. Shopped duty free. Got food and water and then plugged my laptop into a wall plug that I may or may not have been allowed to use.

And then finally, I met my temporary family. The boys are very cute and I've already made some good observations. Alexandros (8) is very smart. He has lots to say and says it a mile a minute. The plane was supposed to board at 5:30 and he wasn't pleased about still being in line at 5:35. Aris (6) has yet to talk to me. He seems to be very shy and he was crying when I first saw him because he left his mommy! Poor thing.

Airplane airplane airplane. Airplane dinner was delicious. Athens at night from the air was awesome. 1 hour drive home from the airport, quick tour of the house and my new room. Bed time.

Some photos of highlights so far will be coming very soon!!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l