Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Chasing Waterfalls; Jasper National Park


Long weekends in the summer are so great because they offer the chance to get away without taking time off. Unfortunately, everyone realizes that and parks, campgrounds, beaches, etc.. tend to get pretty crowded.


I would have loved to go camping in Jasper for the May long weekend but I wasn't prepared to deal with those crowds. Instead, we decided to take a daytrip on the Monday when everyone would be leaving and the park would be much less full.


Is 5 hours too far to drive to see a waterfall? Nah, I don't think so.



For the first time in my personal history, we drove right past the Jasper town site and continued down the highway. We knew we wouldn't have a huge amount of time so we just continued driving until we got to Sunwapta Falls.






I've wanted to visited Sunwapta for a long time now but never realized just how close it is to town. I also didn't realize it would be just like Athabasca Falls with its big tourist parking lot. Fortunately, our end of long weekend plan worked well and it wasn't too busy at all.





The whole area was different than I expected, photos can be so deceiving. I didn't expect to be looking down at the fall from a bridge, I didn't expect so many trails with fences on the edges. I suppose the park needs to protect itself and its visitors though.


If you go across the bridge and through the trees towards the fall you'll get a better view. From there you could almost pretend you were the only one around at a fall you just discovered.


After spending some time here we did the 4km roundtrip to see the lower falls which are smaller but equally as beautiful. And we actually were the only ones here. I would have loved to keep going and see what else was further along, but between you and I, I have a bladder approximately the size of a grape and it is useless.




Our next destination took us down the Icefields Parkway for nearly an hour which is nothing to complain about. That has to be one of the most beautiful drives in Canada, if not the world. (Just out of curiosity, as I write this I Googled the most beautiful drives in the world and it does come up in the top 10!)


Having discovered it the night before via Instagram I couldn't wait to get to Tangle Falls. It is conveniently located directly on the side of the highway and it has it's own little parking lot to make visits easier and keeps people from holding up traffic.




I'm not really sure what I can say about the fall other than to state it is one of my favorites I've ever seen. I highly suggest that everyone stops to see it.


We spent quite a while here, climbing the rocks to get closer, cooling off in the spray and taking pictures. I think the photos speak for themselves.





And that is all. 10 hours of driving, 2 waterfalls, a couple passenger side naps; 1 well spent day off.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l