Thursday, September 6, 2012

Day 3 continued- Zaanse Schans and Amsterdam finale

Today has been another really busy day! After waking up at 7 am to get my lock cut off my locker, I had another small hostel breakfast and then headed out to a town called Zaanse Schans. It is only a short 15 minute train ride from Amsterdam central. This town is an absolutely beautiful postcard perfect depiction of Holland. Windmills, wooden shoes, cheese and the whole town smells like chocolate. After looking at signs that I can't read for a while I found one that said "cocoa" and decided it was a chocolate factory.
The town has a more modern side as well, but we didn't care to see it. It took us less than an hour to see everything in the "traditional" area.

Next, back in Amsterdam for the rest of my last day, I stopped to buy my train ticket for Frankfurt and it turns out the friend I made here and that I've been with for the last 2 days is also going to Frankfurt. We will be taking the train there together on Friday morning. I'm very happy that I don't have to spend 4 hours in a train alone.
We decided to walk from the train station to our hostel and we shopped along the way. In a shopping centre that we stopped at you have to pay to use the toilets, .50€ How bizarre! After the long walk and busy day we stopped at the hostel hoping to nap, but I actually ended up going back out again hunting for a new plug adaptor because mine failed me. Not a fabulous day for me... I've managed to borrow a phone charger so I can message people and no one panics. And obviously so I can write this for you all. As an end to my time here I went with a few girls on a night time canal cruise tour around the city. It's nice to see everything from the water and at night.

As per usual, I have a few extra facts to share with you!!

- The canals are about 3 meters deep, but of those three meters, 1/2-1 meter is sand and silt, another meter or so are all the bikes that people throw in and so you are left with 1 last meter of just water.
- There are several different kinds of fish living in the canals
- And lastly for my Amsterdam facts, the canals are "flushed" to allow new clean water to fill them every other day. Not every canal of course, but 16/18 in one area.

And that's all!!!
I'm taking off to Frankfurt in the morning and that is where we will meet again.

See you in Germany!!

Xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l