Monday, March 11, 2013

Belgium, France and The Netherlands

This is it, my last post about my travels. It's sad to see it end. This trip was spectacular and dearly hope to do another one like it some day.

My first stop in Europe was Amsterdam and I was immediately in love with it. Maybe because it was my first taste of traveling abroad, maybe because the weather was beautiful or maybe because it is terribly charming and so full of life and character. Either way, I couldn't get enough. Bikes are everywhere you look, sometime even right in your face as they try to run you down. For me this doesn't make them any less wonderful, a bit crazy, but I love it. I feel like where I live a bike is mostly exercise but in Amsterdam it is transportation, exercise and recreation. I love this idea. It's green, keeps you fit and it looks like fun! I may even try it out if the snow ever leaves.. That's a big maybe though, thanks to big sister Katie and her bleeding and tears I haven't ridden in years....
While I was in Amsterdam I took a day trip to Zaanse Schans, a gorgeous little town not far from the city. It was basically everything I wanted. Shops making and selling delicious fresh cheese, wooden clog workshops, sheep and windmills all down the river. I would recommend a visit.




Several months later, our stop in Belgium was quite a short one, but certainly memorable. In all honesty I went to Brussels to see the peeing boy fountain and I didn't really know anything else about the city. Upon arrival we were assaulted by the smell of pee... unpleasant, and ironic considering the statue I came to see..... Once we got away from the smell and the litter, which was mostly near the train station, the city got much nicer. We found so much more to see besides the fountain (which was very small.) It's a nice city to just walk around and enjoy, but the one main square shouldn't be missed. The buildings are spectacular and we even caught a light show. French fries, chocolate and waffles happened a lot because, how could they not?? It's Belgium after all. Also, smurfs...





All packed up and onwards to the fantasticness that is PARIS! The city of light. The city of love. Such a wonderful place. And I learned and saw so much. Our stop in Paris was a never ending tour. A walking tour (with the same company we toured with in several other cities,) a tour of the louvre to see Mona and her friends, walks along the avenue des Champ-élysées, under the arc, up the Eiffel Tower, trips on the underground metro and so many other fabulous places. Of course, I also ate. If you haven't caught on yet, I like eating. Baguette and macaroons were my must haves in France and I wasn't disappointed.
We also took to wonderful day trips during our stay in Paris. One to Versailles and the other to the happiest place on earth. DISNEYLAND!!!!



Versailles was quite a place. Everything is over the top. The upholstery, the gold, the marble.. Some say tacky, others say do what makes you happy. 2 of my favorite parts of this trip were the hall of mirrors (which could have been much more beautiful at a different time of day) and Marie Antoinette's personal residence. The hall is designed to sparkle endlessly. Windows along one wall and mirrors along the opposite, when the sun is right it should dazzle. And as for the residence, I loved how simple and modest it was. I really would have loved to explore the gardens but out of season there isn't much to see.




Now, lets get down to the good stuff. Disneyland really is the happiest place. I couldn't help but smile from the time I woke up until the time I went to bed. Disney has always been a love of mine and having it all in one place where anyone can be a child again is fantastic. The first thing we did inside the park was hit the shops to buy ears, ears that didn't come off until I got on the train to go home. The whole park and all the rides brought back the same joy I felt on my visit to Disneyland California nearly 12 years ago. Indiana Jones was scarier here (I screamed like a baby the whole time,) Pirates of the Caribbean was amazing, The teacups still threaten to make me sick but I love them anyway and the parade was magical. Everyone was there, Mickey and Minnie and friends, Woody and Buzz and even Santa!!! We were there on the last day of park Christmas (it was January already though.) As a great finale and end to our Disney day we had supper while watching the light show on the castle. This park couldn't disappoint if it tried.



After Paris came the UK, the horrible ferry rides and then the very last stop before flying home was Amsterdam again. Just as lovely as it was the first time, but very different under its winter blanket. People still ride their bikes in the snow, but not everyone. The canals are partly frozen and that makes for almost no boat movement either. I only had a short day and a half there the second time so we spent most of it walking. We did our tour, I showed Chad things I like and remembered from my first stay and we explored new territory together, most notably the red light district. We also tried a strange vending machine style fast food place.. it was very bizarre.



The long flight home took me back to Iceland. At some point I will be back there for a longer stay. Next it took me to New York City where I also plan to return. Hours and hours into the trip I landed in Toronto, Canada. A long night with a very short sleep on a lumpy bench, more security, more hours on the plane and then finally at home again.

"Travel is the only thing you can buy that makes you richer"




*Sorry there couldn't be more pictures this time, some horrible, terrible, traumatic things have happened with my USB*

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l