Monday, March 14, 2016

The Travel Bug

Do you ever get that feeling, like a ghost passing through you? Not literally. I’m talking about the ghost of a trip, the feeling you got on the beach in Greece, or the smell of the desert in Arizona, reminding you of where you have been and the experiences you’ve had. I think that’s the travel bug.

I feel it all the time, just sitting around minding my own business and then all of a sudden I’m back in one of the amazing places I’ve been, or craving the flavors or scents that I encountered there. If someone could market that feeling it would be tourist season every day in every country.
Just now I was reminded of the smoothie bowls I had every day in Hawaii and it brought me right back to the whole experience of being there. I just want to book a ticket and go right back.

Other times when I get the feeling it’s because something physical brought it on. Eating a croissant reminds me of sitting sea side in Poros, Greece and the whole Christmas experience brings me back to the market in Salzburg, Austria. Most of all though, looking through my travel photos can take me back to almost any experience.

I don’t think I’ll ever get enough. If I can’t be out travelling all the time then re-living the experiences in my head will have to do. Not to say I won’t be planning any more trips though!!






Sunrise in Aegina, Greece
This was the only time on my Europe trip that I was really alone and honestly, I was really intimidated by that. I didn`t know if I would be able to spend the night alone on an island but when I woke up at 4am and watched this, the most incredible sunrise, I felt so at peace and OK with where I was. The sound of the waves and the increasing warmth as the sun started to touch me was an unforgettable experience that I still think back on all the time.
The huge waves on Sunset Beach, North Shore, Oahu, Hawaii
Being on this beach with my friends after dreaming of visiting Hawaii for so many years was an amazing experience. The day was so hot but when the waves crashed up around my feet the water was so cold. Everything was really loud. Waves and wind and my screaming laughter as I was suddenly up to my knees in water when just a moment ago I had been at least 20 feet from where the water broke. I crave this beach all the time.
Boats settled in the mud near Blomidon Provincial Park, Nova Scotia
Of the 2 times I`ve visited Nova Scotia, I think this may have been my favorite day. I`m not sure why but this is a sight I really wanted to see. The idea of boats that, just hours ago, had been floating on the deep cold water and are now settled in the mud is so bizarre. I got to see one of nature`s great tricks. On this trip I had already seen the tidal bore rush in, seen high tide and now a true low tide.


Salzburger Christkindl-Markt, Salzburg, Austria
This Christmas market may be one of the most memorable places I`ve ever been. I think about it so often and feel the sensations of it tingle in my spine. The spiced smell of gingerbread and mulled wine, the smoky smell of cooking sausage. All the chatter in different languages, the festive music and laughter. Everything about this place draws me back in to those memories and I can`t get enough.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l