Monday, March 7, 2016

Apartment Styling - Plants and Pictures

I decided long before we even moved in that I wanted to have lots of plants in the apartment. They bring such a warmth and vibrancy to indoor spaces that I find very cozy and appealing.
Having worked in a greenhouse for a few years I also just grew accustomed to being around plant life and I know how happy I felt in that place. I have also seen a number of plants that I always wanted to bring home.


I already had an avocado tree that I grew from the pit of one delicious avocado about 2 years ago. Its 2-3 feet tall now with big vibrant green leaves and I adore it. I fully intend to start another avocado tree or 2. Unfortunately they don't produce fruit, but I love them no less.


I also already had a chubby little cactus. I think I've had it for about 2 years now as well and since it's nearly doubled in size since I bought it I can safely safe I'm a reasonable plant parent.
And speaking of parents, mine have been babysitting both of these plants for about 10 months now so I am quite pleased to have them back.


As lovely as the 2 of those plants are I still really wanted more. I was thinking at least one big plant, but Ryan wanted smaller ones that we could nurture and grow into that bigger plant. I've given in. For now.


At the greenhouse we had limited options, mostly because we went in January, it's not exactly plant season. We did find some little beauties anyway. Ryan picked out a Jade plant and I got English Ivy and a Fern. We also picked out some standard clay pots and soil for them to live in.

Back at the apartment we set up a little work space so we could re-pot all 3 plants. I don't know if we were technically doing it correctly, but it worked out okay. No leaves fell off, no limbs were broken and all 3 seemed to be solidly situated in the soil.


The next part of my plan to cozy-up the house is getting pictures and art on the walls. Bare walls are so boring and uninspiring.


I already did a bit of painting, but if those actually end up hanging on the wall is as of yet undecided.


Something that will go on the wall for sure are pictures and I found just the way I want to display them. String and clothes pins. I've seen pictures of this in a few variations and I absolutely love them way it looks. Plus, its so easy to change out based on the season or simply what you feel like showcasing.



Considering how many trips and adventures Ryan and I have been on, I love that this doesn't restrict me to any number of photos fitting into a frame or on a pin board, but instead allows me to post as many as I desire simply based on the length of the string and the number of pins I buy. If you "sign up" for Shutterfly you can get 50 free prints too!



This wall shows a little bit of everything. Pictures of us, scenery, animals and photos we like just because. I'm absolutely loving the way it looks and considering making another string photo wall in the bedroom.

Just below it is our "shrine" to the sea. This was one of the very first things that got set up in the apartment and one of my favorite places to look. A map, sea glass, shells, stones and my nautical mirror. A perfect little corner.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l