Thursday, March 17, 2016

My Home Garden

As I’m sure you can tell by now, I’ve gotten to be a bit obsessed with having plants at home.

It all started long ago with my avocado pit. I saw something online about how to grow an avocado tree from the pit of the fruit and I had to try it out. It was quite simple and took minimal care.

Around that time I bought a few other plants too. An orange tree, lemon tree and two cacti. The fruit trees are lost and 1 cactus died, but I still have the second and he’s going strong.



In our new apartment Ryan and I first bought a fern, Jade and English Ivy. Their greenery and warmth pleased me so much that we had to get more. A “Hope” Philodendron and another cactus.
Among all those I am also starting a new avocado pit and attempting to re-grow a bunch of celery! Both seem to be going well.




And finally, the actual garden; I was inspired by yet another online find - egg shell gardening. Basically, seeds are planted in small amounts of soil inside an egg shell and left to sprout inside the house. Eventually when they are ready, the whole egg shell can be planted outside where it will continue to grow and, in my case, hopefully provide me with beautiful veggies. The internet tells me that the roots will eventually crack the shell and as it breaks down will provide nutrients to the plants.

I started with lettuce, cucumber and tomato. I love eating all those things and also, none of them grow underground so planter depth isn’t as crucial. Keep in mind that when they are planted outside it will be in a plant box on a balcony.


Initially there were 2 shells with lettuce and 3 each of tomato and cucumber, but about 2 weeks in I added 1 more each of tomato and cucumber and 2 more lettuce. I’m hoping that means I will get more veggies throughout the season.


Within about 1 week all of the seeds had sprouted. Lettuce first followed by cucumber and then tomatoes. Once they broke the soil there was really no stopping them, they grow a noticeable amount in just one day and it thrills me.



I can’t wait to see if they are successful little producers and will feed me through the summer!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l