Friday, September 15, 2017

European Vacation: Bucketlist

I didn't realize until my trip was almost over that I had never shared this post so I'm going to do it now. As I continue to post about the trip we'll see how much I actually got ticked off!


Since I’ve done it with all my other major trips in the last few years I’ve got another bucketlist for you; all the things I want to see and do in Europe!! I’ll be visiting 6 countries, 3 of which are brand new to me and therefore my 14th, 15th and 16th countries visited!

It took me quite a while to decide where I would go but as soon as I came up with this route everything felt right. Some people have mentioned that the order seems a bit off or that I’m being quite ambitious, but I know what kind of traveller I am and that this will work for me!

I’ll be starting off with 24 hours in London and I think it’ll be a pretty casual visit. I’d like to see the London Eye from the ground, just because. I’m hoping to do some wandering through the main streets and squares and just take in the joy of being in a different city. I’ve been to London before and seen the top tourist sights so I don’t feel any pressure to get back to them again.

Paris was such a dreamy city, I couldn’t imagine travelling through Europe in the direction that I am and not stopping in Paris, even if it’s only for 24 hours. I’m planning to jam pack my day with as much excitement as I can and a huge amount of walking. I’ve seen the Eiffel Tower but I want to go again, I’d like to see the city from the top of the Arc de Triomphe, visit Notre Dame, snack on pastries and Macarons while strolling around Sacre Couer and Moulin Rouge in Montmarte, and just maybe if there is time I’ll take a tour of the catacombs. I can see that my day in Paris is pretty ambitious but I want to take in as much as I possibly can, no matter how exhausted I am after.

The train from Paris to Barcelona is 6.5 hours and surprisingly I’m looking forward to it. Once I arrive in Barcelona I will be walking and wandering, checking out the crazy architecture in Park Guell and visiting La Sagrada Familia for a while. Other than that, I’d like to allow Barcelona to reveal its Spanish charm without too many specific plans. Also, seafood.

Lisbon is in a similar boat as Barcelona being that they are both brand new countries for me and I love to explore by wandering. Other than maybe a tour on the tram and stopping in the Time Out Market, I don’t have one single plan or place to visit within the city of Lisbon. That being said I have a big plan for my day trip outside the city. Sintra, a UNESCO world heritage site, is not far from Lisbon and looks like a truly magical place filled with many castles, villas and estates.

When it comes to Italy I’m not sure I’ll be able to fit in all the things I’d like to do and places I’d like to see, but you can bet I’ll try!

The Amalfi Coast looks like something out of a painting or an artificial landscape created for a movie, it’s hard to believe somewhere so incredible is really within reach.

My first stop and the place I’ll be sleeping is Sorrento. To be honest Italy for me is somewhere that shouldn’t be planned. When I visited Rome and Venice I never knew where I was going but I was always pleasantly surprised with where I found myself, and all roads lead to pizza so that’s nice too.. Sorrento promises stunning views and a lively marina so I’ll be looking for both of those.

From Sorrento I will be doing 2 day trips. First day will be to the Cliffside town of Positano and possibly a few hours in Capri. The second day will be Amalfi, Atrani and Ravello. I plan to walk the few kilometers between these towns and simply take in the breathtaking beauty of the Italian coast. Since this region is famous for its lemons I will definitely be eating some lemon gelato as well! If time allows there are 2 hikes that I would love to complete; The Path of the Gods on the Amalfi Coast and up Mount Vesuvius near Naples.

On my final day in Italy I will be in Rome. Similarly to London and Paris, I’ve already been and have seen the major attractions so I will enjoy a stress-free evening of sightseeing.

My final destination is Dublin. I’m really excited to spend some time, even just a few days, in Ireland. I had briefly considered spending my whole vacation seeing as much of Ireland as possible but I’m not overly keen about driving a car in a foreign country (on the wrong side of the road!) by myself.


I’m planning on doing a tour to see the Giants Causeway and hopefully the Cliffs of Moher. I’d like to stumble on as many castles and cathedrals as I can in my short time as well. The Guinness Storehouse, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Dublin Castle and Trinity College Library are my top picks for a day in Dublin. If I have a little extra time I would like to visit neighbouring DĂșn Laoghaire as well.


Stay tuned over the nest few weeks and you'll see how destinations and opinions can change!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l