Thursday, September 7, 2017

A Bluenose Summer

I'm not sure if you've caught on to this yet but Nova Scotia is my favourite place. Excluding Canada I've been to 16 countries now and I truly have loved almost all of them (one day I'll give Spain a chance to redeem itself..) but there hasn't been anywhere that made me feel quite like Nova Scotia does.


I didn't see many new places this time around but the thrill of exploring was still alive and well.

We have been several times before and we went several times during this trip and somehow Sandhills beach never ceases to thrill me. It looks different almost every time I go and even though I should be expecting it by now it still blows my mind.

The first time we went the tide was so low and the fog was so heavy that the water couldn't be seen from what is normally the shoreline. The low tide creates beautiful ripples in the newly exposed sand and the fog elicits a mysterious feeling, but one that is somehow comforting and exciting.



After walking around what should be the shore we decided to ditch our shoes and make the long walk out to the waters edge, Ryan and I agreed it must have been at least half a kilometre out. It wasn't a particularly warm day and this visit wasn't meant for swimming, but quite frankly I will accept a beach in almost any condition since I only get to see beaches a few times a year.



There was one other group on the beach, a large family I imagine, and they seemed to be having a great time splashing and walking in the shallows with their dog. Having seen that I really couldn't resist going in as well. For Ryan it was easy, he was wearing shorts. I, on the other hand, was wearing leggings and had to break through my own wall and accept that wet clothes are not the end of the world. It was fun.


Slightly farther from our temporary home and therefore turned into mini road trips we visited several lighthouses during our stay.

Cape Forchu in Yarmouth is a pretty unique looking lighthouse in my opinion and one with a lovely surrounding area. We needed to be in the city anyway so made a little detour to the light to check out the views and collect the tiny pieces of seaglass that hide on the shores there.



We've visited Baccaro before as well, twice actually, but we decided to go again on a drizzly afternoon. In hind sight it wasn't the best time to go because the foghorn was sounding the whole time we were there and I kept ducking behind big rocks to hide from the sound.

I don't remember now why we were going to Shelburne, maybe just to see the Sandy Point lighthouse, maybe for something else. Either way, it was a lovely little roadtrip and I got a few nice photos that I can add to my collection of "potentially put on the wall."


Mid-way through our stay the reason for our visit finally came about. Ryan's best friend got married in a lovely seaside ceremony. As a groomsmen Ryan spent most of the morning with the other guys getting ready and taking photos and I finally had a reason to wash my hair and make an effort to look decent! I also drove alone for the first time in this province so I'm basically an adult now, right?




If you thought it wouldn't come up, you were wrong. We went to Lahave Bakery and it was as lovely as ever. We had to be go to Bridgewater anyway and Lahave is so close that I really couldn't pass it up. No matter how many times I go there it never gets old. The building is still incredible, the food is amazing, the skate shop is super cool and right out the back door is a gorgeous view of the Lahave River.


Less than an hour from Lahave is Carters Beach and I couldn't resist stopping to admire the blue water and white sand. Ryan's sister even found a tiny sand dollar for me! I've never seen one on a beach before so I was probably more excited than necessary..

One of the fews things that we planned to do on this trip was go to the top of Seal Island lighthouse in Barrington. This lighthouse is actually a replica of the one that is on Seal Island and though it is a museum it still has a functioning light. We were taken on a short tour and told some of the history of the Barrington area, the lighthouse and Seal Island. The best part and the reason we went in was the view from the top.


Since being home I've had such a craving to go back to Nova Scotia, even more than before. Every time I visit it gets harder to leave and the need to go back gets stronger. I think that means I should move, yes?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l