Thursday, December 15, 2016

Pre-Christmas Creations

'Tis the season to celebrate with family and friends, and that's just what we've been doing. Ryan and I attended two Christmas parties this weekend and I got to be creative before both. 
I volunteered to bring a dessert item to both parties and spent ALL day on Saturday baking. 
I made a cake with 5 layers and 3 trays of cookies, my kitchen was the messiest it's probably ever been and I had to walk to the grocery store in between batches to get more eggs. Fortunately the store is only across the street since it was one of the coldest days this year and my poor van died in the garage at home.

After 4.5 hours of baking and with almost no time to get ready, we set off to the party. I'm going to tell you, I made the ugliest cake ever, it's could win awards for its ugliness, but when I arrived with it everyone seemed pretty impressed!! 


Supper was amazing. Curried cauliflower, though I expected to dislike it, turned out to be really delicious. Veggie pies, mashed potatoes and Caesar salad were excellent as well. There was a great selection of vegetarian food, which isn't usually the case at parties, so it was easy for everyone to enjoy. My 3 best friends are vegetarian as well and all in attendance. 

At dessert time I was told that my gingerbread cake was "the best cake I've ever had" by one of my friends and that really made my night. Baking all day paid off I guess!

Our second party was a "tacky Christmas sock" party. Better than sweaters in my opinion. Again, I was busy doing.. I don't remember what, all morning before the party so we were a bit rushed getting ourselves ready. Fortunately I did all the baking the day before so the gingerbread cookies were ready to go when we were! 

A quick trip to the dollar store to buy sock decorating supplies and then about 10 minutes at home with the hot glue gun and double sided tape had us ready. 


Ryan had a lovely oven mitt creation and I went with garland and jingle bells up to the knees. The (approximately 1 million) kids at the party seemed to like our choices, and that's what counts. 


I'm really looking forward to spending more time with people over the holidays and being festive! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l