Thursday, September 22, 2016

East Coast Canada In A Day

It’s finally time for another trip to the beautiful East Coast of Canada! Honestly, I've wanted to be there again since the day we left last year.

This trip didn't start out quite like the last one unfortunately. I was quite sick, we had issues with the car rental and we were both exhausted since we weren't able to sleep on the plane. Despite those things we hit the road and tried to make the most of it!

The original “plan” was to go up to Cape Breton first, take the ferry to PEI, do PEI, take the bridge back and drive to Halifax to fly home.
In an effort to make some other plans work out we decided we would go to PEI first, and with no particular desire to go on the ferry (or pay $71 for it!) we drove straight from the airport to the Confederation Bridge in New Brunswick with just one quick stop along the away. We dropped into Wal Mart to buy enough cold medications, throat lozenges and Kleenex to cure a small army.

Just off the bridge on the NB side is a tourist/information/nature centre and that was our first stop. I don’t honestly remember if we really looked at anything much inside, I was too tired. What I do remember was the wall of heat and humidity that we had to walk through as soon as we opened the car doors which was in stark contrast to the cool crisp air we left back in Alberta.


Having been there once before I knew I wanted to walk along the beach that looks up at the bridge and gives the best unimpeded view.
It was exactly how I remembered it from 6 years ago. Red sand and shells everywhere. An old rustic looking lighthouse further up the beach and bridge for as far out as you can look. It's a lovely place despite the 100% humidity and 35 degree weather that day.



From the beach we got back in the car, cranked the AC and made our way across the long bridge.
If you've never been and the idea of driving across a 12km bridge seems intimidating or scary to you, don't worry about it!! It's pretty cool actually, and for the majority of the crossing you can't see over the sides so it doesn't really feel much like a bridge. 

Just on the other side is a lovely little tourist hub where you can find all the typical PEI treasures. You can buy a shirt that has been dyed in the red dirt from the island, have ice cream at Cows or get yourself an Anne of Green Gables raspberry cordial or some chocolate covered potato chips. Basically everything you would need to have a complete PEI experience. 

At this point we've been awake over 24 hours, I'm feeling sicker by the minute and if Ryan had to drive anymore he would have fallen asleep and steered us into the ocean. 
With the exception of the sickness we had a pretty similar experience last year. We drove straight to Moncton then. Unlike last year, and having learned from it, we actually booked our first nights sleep before we left home


I found this adorable tree house on AirBnB for $30 per night and I was instantly sold. I couldn't wait for Ryan to see it so I could book. 

The tree house doesn't have much included. Climb the ladder and you find 2 chairs, open the door and you get an air mattress, night stand with lamp and a tiny trash bin. Nothing more or less than 2 exhausted travellers needed. There is a washroom in the house for guest use as well in case you were wondering.


As excited as I was to be in Eastern Canada again (finally!!) I couldn't do any exploring without sleeping first. Because of how congested I was the descent on the plane was extremely painful and my ears still hadn't recovered several hours later, I was pretty much half deaf. As it would turn out, my ears didn't recover for about 2 days after landing. The point I'm making is that between the sickness, exhaustion and how frustrated I was with my new deafness I couldn't wait to pass out in the tree house. 


We got about 5 hours of sleep off and on because despite how tired I was its still the middle of the day. Ready to venture out, our "landlord" recommend somewhere nearby for us to try and with a name like "The Lobster Barn" I wasn't about to complain about it.  We stayed just outside the seemingly tiny town of Victoria and that's where the restaurant was. We found it easily enough, sitting looking charming on a wharf. 
I had fish and chips! My plan going into this trip was to eat seafood everyday. Is that wrong??


After supper we walked around the nearby area, caught a lovely sunset and played for a minute in the soft red sand, stopping to collect a small handful before taking ourselves back to the tree house to sleep again. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l