Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Minimizing - Capsule Wardrobe

The idea behind a capsule wardrobe is to create a functional closet that is seasonally appropriate, functional, in good condition and that keeps us from the dreaded "I have nothing to wear." Less is more. Having a set amount of clothing that actually works for you in every day life also keeps the need to shop at bay and therefore is also great for protecting the wallet.


Here's how it works: 
On average people choose to keep the size of their wardrobe to between 30 and 40 pieces. Some choose to include outerwear, shoes and workout attire, others don't. 
Empty everything out of the closet and drawers.

 
Sort!
Anything that doesn't fit, is in bad shape (holes, stains, etc,) or you just don't like anymore gets put aside. If it's trash throw it away, if it's in good shape sell/donate/give it away.

 
Anything seasonally inappropriate gets put aside in another pile. You don't need to be taking up valuable closet real estate for items you won't be able to wear in the next 3 months. Store these items somewhere else. These should also be items you really like. If you won't wear them next time the weather is right they should be in the first pile.
Anything left over should be items you truly love. Things that fit well, work for you lifestyle and job, are flattering and fit into your personal style. When putting these pieces back into the closet and drawers use it as an excuse to really sort and clean. 

At this point you may decide you need a few new things to complete the new look your giving yourself. That's just fine, but be specific. Don't go out to buy "a few new pieces" go get a grey v-neck Tshirt, a navy pleated skirt and a pair of cropped light wash jeans. Don't put yourself right back to where you started. Buy with intention.

Exceptional items:
I chose not to include outerwear, shoes, workout wear, or fancy dresses. Underclothes and pyjamas don't count either. 
If you have to try things on its obvious you haven't been wear them. Therefore anything that you feel needs to be tried on probably shouldn't stay, with the exception of things that have very little occasion to come out of the closet, AKA that sequin dress you wear only for New Years Eve. 

I ended up with 31 items in my wardrobe and I'm really pleased with it. I don't have to sort through things that I don't like to find what I do. Every item is loved.

Since I was in the sorting mood anyway I decided to do everything I wear. Jackets, outerwear accessories, footwear, bags and underclothes too.
It turns out that I had 26 pairs of shoes/boots/etc.. and that is just way to many. Just like with my clothes, anything that is worn out, stained or has holes can go. Also, any of those nasty shoes with the smell that doesn't go away, they can go straight in the garbage. 

 
Socks with holes in the toe - garbage
Jackets I haven't worn in ages - donate
Bags and purses that I don't use - donate


 
I'm really pleased with how everything turned out and the fact that I love everything I have now. It takes a certain stress off of getting dressed which should be a really simple thing.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l