Monday, February 29, 2016

Hiking at Elk Island National Park

As I knew that we would, we returned to Elk Island on the weekend. It’s so nice living within such a short distance of a beautiful national park, and it’s something I haven’t ever taken advantage of. This year that will change.


It worked out to be another perfect sunny winter day that wasn’t too cold. In the sun you could almost wear just a sweater, but in the shade a jacket and mitts were still required.

When we arrived in the late morning and stopped at the visitor centre to grab a map of the hiking trails I decided that I would also buy a Parks Canada pass. It allows entry into all the national parks for 2 years so I think it is well worth purchasing. I have every intention of visiting several parks several times this year. It will be the year of adventure. You can quote me on that.

Having made it through the gate we proceeded to the Bison Loop first, just like last time. Unfortunately we were not greeted by any furry giants this time either. We were about to take another few pictures in the red Adirondack chairs when someone pulled over and asked if she could take them for us. Really. She pulled over just so she could help us take a picture. How sweet is that?!
We drove off right after our picture because what we came for didn't show up anyway and we were keen to get to our hike.

We decided on a hike that suggested it would take about 1-2 hours to complete and is a moderate terrain and difficulty. I wanted more than just a walk in the trees, but we also weren't prepared to be out for several hours.


This trail had less hills than the last ones did but offered more areas to explore on either side of the path. We followed a few Deer and Bison trails along the way, each time leading us to an opening that was usually near water. Of course, none of the trails led us to any animal sightings though.



Plenty of these side trails left evidence that animals spend time in the areas. Tufts of hair caught on branches, fallen trees, packed snow and many trees stumps left by beavers.



Taking the opportunity in front of us, we also decided to hide our first geocache together. It needed to be somewhere with a good hiding spot but also somewhere that people can still enjoy the pleasure of actually finding it. I personally get a tiny bit frustrated when I can't find what I'm searching for.


We have 3 more to hide but I'll wait and tell you about all of them once they are all placed and ready to be found.

I'm really excited to start spending more time in the beautiful national parks around me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l