Monday, July 27, 2015

{East Coast 7}

Another day, another drive. 
Today we are off to Barrington to surprise R's mom. He decided when we planned the trip that he didn't want to tell her we were coming, we would just show up at her door. 

Before we got there though, we had a few other stops along the way. 

Firstly, back to the LaHave Bakery. I realize that we were there 15 hours ago, but it's that good! Honestly. I really couldn't resist. We had some breakfast and grabbed some tea and treats for the road. 


Next stop, Shelburne!

Arriving in Shelburne meant that we had nearly reached our destination for a few days and I would finally get to see where R came from. It also meant seeing the historic waterfront.  Plenty has happened in this little town over time. Several movies and TV series' have been filmed here as well including The Scarlet Letter and The Book of Negroes. 


Having decided several weeks ago that this wasn't going to be a museum vacation, we skipped all of that and simple walked along the waterfront. R is bubbling with knowledge anyway so he keeps me filled in!



Back in the car and a short drive later we arrived at his mom's house. She was busy in another room when we arrived so we just sat on the couch and waited for her. R's little sister already knew we were coming so she sat with us and filmed the surprise on her iPad. 
When she came out it took a minute to realize what was happening. She first looked at us like we were there all along and then did a rapid double-take before dropping what was in her hands and lunging at her son! 
I was thoroughly amused if not a little bit nervous. This was the first time I could meet her!

A bit later on we headed to a cottage near the water to see other people and because we wanted to go swimming. 
It was one of those perfect days where it's warm but not too hot and there is just enough cloud to keep from feeling the burn. 

The beach we went to, Sandhills, was just perfect. Not busy and the water was so warm. By my standards anyway. R was freezing. The friend he brought with was cold too. 
Either way, we had lots of fun. I really enjoy poking the jellyfish, even though I probably shouldn't. 

To end our beach time we ended up clam digging!!! I can't tell you how excited I was about this because it was on my Nova Scotia 2015 Bucketlist ! I found it difficult at first, clams are fast at escaping apparently, but once I got the hang of it and picked up the pace I really had a lot of fun. We all came out with broken fingernails and cut hands, but that's always worth it for fun, and seafood.. 


Remember that perfect weather I was talking about, well it turned out not to be so perfect. Nova Scotia is so tricky, the same thing happened on my last trip. Everything seems perfect and peachy and then you get home only to realize you've been burned to a crisp!! This is nothing new for me I guess, my fair freckled skin just isn't meant for strong sunshine. Remember the Hawaii burns?! 

Anyway, after the beach and supper, R, his friend and myself all took a little driving tour around the area. They showed me where they hung out, the different places they lived and then took me to another beach, this time just to walk. I let them walk ahead and catch up with each other while I hunted for treasure on the beach. 



This trip has been amazing so far and I can't wait for more!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l