Thursday, November 3, 2016

Spinach, Mushroom and Butternut Squash Lasagna

This was my first ever attempt at making lasagna and I think it turned out really well. I was looking online for an idea of what kind of flavors I could use to make vegetarian lasagna but also make it more exciting than your typical lasagna without the meat sauce.

I didn’t look at anyone else’s recipe, just took ideas that looked good. I kept seeing butternut squash come up and even though I can’t remember having ever eaten it, it seemed super appealing. Adding spinach and mushrooms was just a great way to add extra flavours and texture since I wouldn’t be using meat sauce or ricotta cheese.



Here is what I used:
Lasagna noodles
Tomato and herb pasta sauce
Butternut squash (mashed)
Spinach (frozen, thawed and drained)
Mushrooms (sliced and cooked)
Shredded cheese (marble and mozza)




Start by putting sauce in bottom of pan so nothing sticks
Make your layers, anyway that suits you
I did:
Noodle- Sauce – cheese – butternut mash
Noodle- sauce- spinach – mushrooms – cheese
Noodle – sauce – butternut mash
When the layers are done top with lots more cheese
Cover with foil
Bake at 425F for 1 hour
Uncover for the last 5-10 minutes to ensure melty cheese and a bit of a crisp


I was so pleased with this recipe, it turned out even more delicious than I imagined. Having mashed butternut squash replaced the ricotta cheese nicely and all the flavors worked together perfectly. Everything was hot and gooey and melted.
The best part is, with the noodles I had and 1 full butternut squash I had enough to make 2 separate lasagnas so I get to have it again!!






0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l