Monday, May 9, 2016

Regrets and Clashing Desires

I've recently entered a stage in my life that has had me looking back on my past and also trying to plan for my future. Even though it doesn't do me a damn bit of good I have some regrets from days gone by.



My main and only really significant regret is that I barely put in any effort in high school. I planned to be a hairstylist for as long as I could remember and figured I didn’t need many courses or credits to achieve that. The thing is, I’m not doing that now and I don’t have what I need to be able to pursue any of the other careers I have considered over time.


In grade 7 I worked really hard, paid attention and got honors at the end of the year. I was so proud and told myself I would continue to get them. That did not happen.


By the time I was in grade 10 I was so distracted by anything and everything that I allowed my schooling to take a back seat. The important parts of school anyway. I still did well in my option classes; drama, foods and photography especially.




Fast forward again to grade 12 and I’m taking the bare minimum courses that I need to graduate. Science, math and gym are not required at the grade 12 level so I didn’t take any of them, options are just there to “fill in credits” and so I only felt the need to take just as many as required and a full day of classes wasn’t necessary either so I only took 3 classes every morning. Both semesters I would get to school, do the little bit that was required of me, do it half-assed might I add, and then go to work.


Pretty much all of what I just shared is one big regret. I had so many other careers that I considered and by not trying I put all of them seemingly out of reach for myself. I want to be an Egyptologist, a Marine Biologist or an Interior Designer. More recently I also have a strong interest in Nursing and Midwifery. Without science and math all of these careers are dead in the water.


I really wish I hadn’t wasted my time back then and that it didn’t take me so long to figure out now.


As I consider more and more what I would like my life to look like and what I want for myself I’m realizing that unless things get pushed off and done later my desires are clashing.


Let’s make it easy for you to see.


-I want to upgrade my high school courses and raise my average as much as possible, also take course that I never took in high school.


-After upgrading I want to go to university/college. I’m leaning on Biology or Nursing, possibly both.


-I want to move to Canada’s east coast. Everyone asks me why I want to be there and my answer is, Why not?!? I love it there and have had a desire to live there since I visited for the first time in 2010.



-I want to buy a house, the most perfect fairytale cottage with a huge garden. I want trees on 1 side and ocean on the other. I want Ivy growing up the front.


Images from Pinterest
-Nothing new here but I want to get married and start my family. I’ve wanted kids since before I can remember and that has never faltered.


-Travel the world. Obviously. I want to see everything, go everywhere and ignore all the “adult responsibilities” such as having a job (and everything else I’ve just stated that I want.)




Now, ideally I could have all these things and all at the same time but that seems really unlikely. As much as I have every intention of travelling with my children, seeing the world while pregnant or with a new born is unrealistic. Travelling while doing school online is certainly do-able but who the heck wants to be solving math problems while they could be exploring the history or Egypt or the beaches or New Zealand?


Gardening at my east coast house while doing evening school and travelling short distance on weekends seems ok, except I can’t afford a house yet, I live in Western Canada, I have an excellent job with so many benefits here already and a partners desires to consider as well.


The point is I am having a mid-20’s meltdown and I can’t figure myself out. Any life planners out there want to figure this out for me??


I’m really not sure why I’m even sharing all this, but it’s my website and I do what I want! Please do put in your 2 cents as well!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l