Monday, April 25, 2016

Summer 2016 Travel Hopefuls

As is always the case, traveling has been on my mind lately. I spend my time day-dreaming of far off lands, and some not so distant places. These are the places that top my list and I'm hoping to get to at least a few of them this year!

I was really hoping that this would be the year I FINALLY get to go to Iceland but I'm not sure that it will be. I'm not giving up hope yet though! Ryan doesn't get as much vacation time as me and I would feel bad making him take a big trip that meant missing work and pay. It is also possible that I could make this the solo trip I mentioned at the beginning of the year. We will have to see where the year takes us and if I can find a great seat sale!

Instagram photo by @the_kafka

What we have decided on is the Canadian West Coast. Vancouver Island to be specific. It'll be our first trip to somewhere that neither of us have been before. We will be driving there and probably camping which helps to keep the cost down. I'm hoping to leave on a Saturday and return the following Sunday which allows for a longer trip but missing only 5 work days. 
I've been looking up places to go and things to see and I've gotten really excited about this trip. The coast looks absolutely beautiful.

Instagram photo by @beckylynnsim.
Before coming up with the idea to road trip to BC I was feeling hopeful toward a few other locations. Both Hawaii and Nova Scotia had AMAZING seat sales. Round trip to the islands for $400 and road trip to Halifax for $250. I've been kicking myself pretty much every day since I didn't book those flights. I'm not so secretly hoping that another great deal comes around and I can still go..  to both..



A little more locally now, I need to hike, camp, canoe and explore within Alberta. Jasper, Elk Island, The Icefields Parkway and Crescent Falls top my list. 
Elk Island is the perfect afternoon getaway; a quick drive, no over-nighting required and plenty to do.


Jasper is, as always, a perfect mountain town with perfect surroundings and I love it.


Crescent Falls, which I don't think has ever been on this blog before (except our quick stop a few weeks ago) is my favourite place to camp. You can put your tent up a stones throw from the water and listen to the river rushing all night. The hiking is amazing and offers the most incredible views. And of course, waterfalls, lots of them. Finding nearby Abraham Lake would be great too!


The Icefields Parkway was incredible when Ryan and I drove through it before. It's the kind of place that makes me want to stop every 5 minutes to take pictures. I would love to explore it further and maybe get to Peyto lake!


And (finally?) the less-known parts of Saskatchewan that are, believe it or not, not flat. Table Mountain and Great Sand Hills look like great adventures. Sand Hills offer "desert like" conditions within Saskatchewan and 1900km of active sand dunes. I'm sure I'll get all the sand in my eyes, but it'll be worth it!

Instagram photo by @cecile_maillard

I suppose that's it for now, even though I want to see all the places. One day I will. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l