Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Positano

Having seen pictures of how absolutely gorgeous Positano is it was no surprise I wanted to go. My original plan for Italy was to make Positano my home base and do day trips from there, but it is an incredibly expensive place. Looking back now I’m glad I chose to stay in Sorrento but also would have loved a little more beach time.



Getting to Positano from Sorrento isn’t difficult but it is either time consuming, expensive or both. Having taken the ferry I was right in the middle. It takes about 40 minutes and 15 Euros one-way but it seemed worth it for a cool sea breeze and to avoid the winding roads on a bus or the expense of a rental car or personal driver.

I wasn’t in a great spot on the ferry to see the town as we entered the bay but the view is pretty great no matter where you see it from. As soon as I got off the boat my first instinct was to jump in the water and stay there until I had to go back to Sorrento, but I resisted.




I spent about an hour walking around checking out little shops and subsequently soaking in their AC, taking in the view from different points along the way and trying to scope out a good beach spot.

To be perfectly honest, the town itself isn’t that exciting. If you have plans to shop and eat then it would be a great place to spend a day, but otherwise it’s just a gorgeous view and a super crowded beach. Not to say it isn't worth visiting though, because it is.



My plan for the day involved swimming but the small main beach was jam-packed full of tourists and the rest of the waterfront has to be paid for; 10 euros for a lounge chair and umbrella. Since I refuse to pay for beach use I decided to go to another free area that was less crowded and offered more shade.

My little spot was next to a gated set of stairs that climb the side of a cliff and surrounded by boulders, both in the water and out. I had about 6 people sharing this slice of paradise and it was just perfect.




When I decided to get in the water and took off my sandals I nearly jumped out of my skin. A word of warning for future visitors, dark sand and +45 degrees makes for burnt feet. I had to tip-toe as fast as I could to the wet sand to save myself from the heat. Swimming in the sea was exactly the relief I needed after so much time in the sun and I loved every minute of it.

I considered getting out a few times but I would just end up searching for seaglass with my towel over my shoulders until I got too hot, and then I’d jump back in. I was half dry several times before going back in but eventually I had to dry off for real so I could catch a bus back to Sorrento. When it is that hot out I can only stand to be outside for so long, even in the water.

The Path of the Gods is a hike I really wanted to do while in the area but with the heat I knew I wouldn’t be able to. Settling on a beach day and Gelato before going back to the hostel for fresh pasta in the AC wasn’t so bad though!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l