Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Irish Day Trips

After realizing I wouldn’t be able to visit the Giant’s Causeway or the Cliffs of Moher I looked online to see what I could do instead. Not wanting to spend all my time in the city a trip to the national park seemed great. The hostel staff was really helpful and told me exactly where to go and which bus to catch for my destination.


Glendalough is a 6th century monastic settlement located inside Wicklow Mountains National Park.  It took an hour and a half by bus to get there but was well worth if for no other reason than to be able to see the lush Irish countryside.

I took my time checking out the various stone buildings and trying to read the inscriptions on the surrounding gravestones. While I was inside the cathedral I found myself getting a bit mad about all the disrespectful tourists. A group of men were climbing and standing on the crumbling walls so they could get a better shot with their selfie sticks. Why have people become so ridiculous, just for the sake of a photo!?










Once I had seen all the buildings I walked and hiked through the national park for several hours. From the people I saw I’m gathering that this is a popular spot for families to come when the weather is nice. Considering the short distance, beautiful surroundings, easy trails and beautiful lakes and waterfalls it’s no surprise.











My other day trip, and favourite place that I visited, was to Howth. I didn’t know anything about Howth but after hearing a few other people talking about it I had to go.

A short 30 minute ride on the DART train and I arrived. Even though the weather in Dublin had been perfect, it was even better here. Perfect blue skies, a cool sea breeze, warm and sunny; what more could I hope for. Not only that but it felt like the perfect mix of Ireland and a Nova Scotian fishing village.




Nestled perfectly between cliffs and the sea meant I had options for hiking and water activities. Just offshore is Irelands Eye, a small island with an ancient church, Martello Tower, bird sanctuary, beach and apparently a great place for spotting seals. I would have happily paid the 15 euros for the boat tour and island exploration but they weren’t running that day because of the wind.



My alternate, but no less exciting option was to do the Howth Cliff Walk. I think the loop I did was about 7 kilometres but I walked much more than that. The trail offers incredible sweeping views out to sea and back over the town.






When I finished in Howth I decided to take the DART to Dún Laoghaire which is directly across the Dublin Bay and almost as charming. I didn’t spend as much time here, only about an hour, but I really enjoyed it. I walked along the pier watching the fisherman, playing children and brave teenagers jumping off walls into the cold water. At the very end I had ice cream under a lighthouse and enjoyed the last bit of sea that I would be seeing for a while.





Ireland was such a lovely place, I already can't wait to come back some day and really explore what the country has to offer. But for now, it's time to go back to Canada.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l