Thursday, January 26, 2017

Minimal

I know I've mentioned it many times before, and I'm sure I'll continue to bring it up every so often, but I'm on a journey towards being more minimal.


If you've spent any amount of time scrolling through Pinterest, Instagram or YouTube then you've probably seen people talk about this before. What I've noticed on those platforms is that people tend to display minimalism in their lives as A) your whole life can fit in two suitcases or B) your home is nearly empty, (black and white), and a bit cold. I'm not striving for either of those things.


What I want is simply to love everything I own, with the exception of items that are purely functional such as toilet cleaning brushes and vacuums which I appreciate based on what they do for me. I want to look into my closet and love all my clothes, open my makeup drawer and see only colors that please me. I think you get what I'm saying.


As for the things that fill the spaces; bed, couch, etc. I would like to feel cozy, be stimulated by colors and patterns and feel the natural warmth and vibrancy that plants bring. And you won't see me getting rid of any throw blankets just for the sake of downsizing, I plan to be very cosy in my tidy little home.


I'm in midst of sorting through things and my apartment is a disaster. The living room is completely covered in piles of this or that, some to dispose of, some to sell and a few that need to be sorted still. Normally that would make me crazy but visualizing the end result keeps me moving along.


So far I have sorted all of my clothing including bags, shoes and outerwear, all products related to skin and hair, my books, assorted papers, electronics and wall hangings. Next will come kitchen, bedding and towels, movies, CDs, camping/outdoor equipment, hobby stuff, miscellaneous leftovers and lastly will be sentimental items and photos.




If you're interested in taking your life in a similar direction, I found inspiration and tips for decluttering in 2 books; The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up and Spark Joy. If you aren't aware I've always love to clean and organize so these books were right up my alley, but I wouldn't blame you if the title alone was enough to make you run and hide. It's not for everyone.


I have one more book that I will be reading right away, Hygge, which is roughly translated to the Danish "art of being cozy" and I can't wait! Having been to Denmark and invited to an afternoon at someone's home, I can tell you that Dane's have a great sense of what a home should look and feel like.


I think this whole process is still going to take a bit longer, but I'm sure I'll let you know when I get somewhere close to finishing!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l