Thursday, June 30, 2016

Canoe Astotin Lake, Elk Island

Ryan and I finally got to go Canoe at Astotin lake in Elk Island National Park! We've talked about going a few times but it seems that every time we plan to go a severe thunderstorm watch/warning comes up.


It was a really beautiful hot day on Sunday with no storm in sight and a perfect day to be at the lake.


Rentals are $25 per hour and cheaper if you add a second hour. We opted for just 1 knowing that we could always go out again if that's what we decided.


We paddled ourselves to the back of the island, enjoyed the peace and warmth of the day and then got caught in a weird current that just pushed us around in circles no matter which way we paddled.



Eventually free from the current we found a calm spot, tucked the paddles in and relaxed in the sun. I cautiously put my feet in the water over each side while keeping the canoe from tipping. The warm clear water had me silently hoping it did tip though..



Eventually be had to give up our paddles, but stayed on the beach for a while. We walked in the shallow water until I saw leeches and ran away. The pretty much ended my hopes of a beach day. I'm sure we will be back again anyway!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l