Friday, April 25, 2014

Road trip essentials

With 2 road trips in 2 weeks I've had to consider what to bring, obviously. I'm a list maker and when it comes to packing I tend to get a little carried away. I'm trying to not over pack this time and to get everything in 1 bag. 

I'm going to share my list of road trip essentials. Those things that I need to get through a long or extra long drive, the first trip is 8 hours each way and the second is 3. 

Here it is. 

I like to sleep in the car, partially because I'm bored and partially because it keeps me from getting car sick. A pillow and blanket are very important, though they don't have to take the shape of an actual pillow and blanket. I usually cover myself with a large scarf and a rolled up sweater works great as a pillow and doesn't take up any extra space. 



I also like to have snacks and drinks in the car. A small bottle of water is best. Small to keep the bathroom breaks limited. As for snacks, chips and candy are easiest, but in an effort to be healthier I've brought some better choices. Pre-washed and cut fruit and veggies, individual hummus cups and nuts. Easy to eat, good for me and yummy!

Since I'm eating, it's always a good idea to have wipes on hand. No one likes sticky fingers. 

Comfy clothes. So essential. I know a lot of people feel like they have to be totally put together and made up anytime they leave home, but if I'm sitting in a car seat for hours then my #1 is being comfortable. A light comfy top, lululemon pants and a cozy sweater if needed. Socks are good too. 
 
My favourites are the Skinny Will pant. 

Sunglasses. That might seem obvious, but who wants to spend the day in the car squinting? A hat works well too. If it's that bright and sunny, SPF wouldn't hurt either. No one likes have one awkwardly tanned arm and a white everything else. 

Electronics. Not everyone has the same taste in music. If you need to escape, an iPod and headphones will be perfect. Some of us bore easier that others. Movies and games on an iPhone/iPad/tablet can be a lifesaver. Not to mention I am writing THIS blog on my iPad. I have a Kobo ereader as well, though a good old fashioned paper book would work just as well. I'm happy to put my cellphone away generally, but when you are trapped in a car for hours at a time it is another great escape. 

The last bit of electronics is a camera. You never know what you will see. I love to have my camera with me all the time anyways, I'm a bit snap happy. 

And lastly, lip balm. I don't know why, but it always need it in the car and it makes me crazy if I don't have it. 



And that's about all. 
Happy travels!
xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l