Thursday, June 8, 2017

Ups and Downs of Hawaii

Although I would generally consider Hawaii to be paradise, I have to admit that there are some ups and downs of travelling to the islands.

Let’s start with, well, travelling to the islands. If you are someone like me who doesn’t mind air travel, has no fear of being 30,000 feet up and can keep your sanity inside a tube for 7 hours then good for you! It certainly makes for a better journey under those circumstances. On the other hand, if you dislike or are afraid of air travel then this might not be the place for you.  Of all the flights I have ever been on, the ones going to and from Hawaii are the only to have ever had turbulence, and let’s be real, no one likes turbulence.


Also to do with getting there, it tends to be a long travel day. Coming from Edmonton means we’re taking an international flight and therefore need to be at the airport 3 hours early. For us that meant leaving home at 5am. 3 hours in the airport, 7 hours in the air, an hour to get off the plane, collect luggage and find the rental car. Now consider the 4 hour time change and it’s still only just after Noon. Over-tired and driving aimlessly in a new city because we couldn’t use data/maps on our phones to find the hotel. I think this could normally be considered an adventure dependent on your state of mind.

A significant up point that can also be a significant down point is the weather. Other than its incredible beauty I think most people come to Hawaii for the weather. It’s the perfect place to escape the harsh Canadian winter; warm, sunny and very little rain depending on the time of the year. On the other hand, Ryan and I experienced +38 degrees Celsius on almost every day of the trip which can be a little much. Also, we had some really windy days and if you know me well you should know that the weather related things I dislike most are wind and ice. With that being said, +38 is heaven for some people, I guess it just depends on the person.


Beyond those few things I think we can all agree that Hawaii is an incredible place and I think everyone should visit at least one island. In my experiences on Oahu and Maui I can say that it is one of the most naturally beautiful places and offers some truly amazing experiences.

Snorkelling with Green Sea Turtles was one of the best experiences of my life, I very much looking forward to a day in the future when I can have a similar experience with scuba diving. Walking along beaches of varying colors, sitting under the palm trees, eating shave ice in the middle of the day; all beautiful experiences.



Hiking 3.5km before 7am to find a 400 foot waterfall is a priceless experience, but don’t forget, paradise wants to kill you. There are signs everywhere that warn about the dangers of flash flooding, unstable edges, far falls and dangerous waters.  Those signs are also usually accompanied by a fatality count; I assume this is included to help scare people out of doing stupid things.


The point I’m trying to make is that everyone should go to Hawaii. Know what to expect, be prepared, read the signs and wear sunscreen, but go. Go to one island or go to all the islands, or maybe live there?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

l l l l l